Drama and Theatre
The Good Schools Guide describes Drama at Aldenham as ‘really strong … delivering productions … which are just fantastic …’ Pupils who are committed to the stage will benefit from being in a school with other like-minded young people, supported by experienced, enthusiastic staff and excellent facilities.
- All pupils have the opportunity to audition for a major production specifically targeted to their age group so that large roles are not just for the older students. Additionally there are two keenly contended House Drama competitions each year. For those pupils who opt into Drama GCSE and A level there are also examination performances. Being involved in a production gives confidence-building skills and a sense of achievement within a creative team context.
- The well-equipped purpose-built theatre encourages pupils to perform as if on a professional stage to an appreciative audience. The high specification resources also allow the more technically minded pupils to participate as stage crew in the areas of light, sound and staging.
- High quality production values allow our pupils to take to the stage confident that they look the part and that what they achieve is important to the whole school community.
- West End theatre trips, together with visits from touring theatre companies, support and extend pupils’ knowledge and understanding of particular plays, acting and design styles, and production values in general.
- The most gifted pupils achieve national success with the National Youth Theatre, to which they are encouraged and supported to apply. Pupils successfully apply to accredited Drama Schools to train professionally in acting or technical theatre.